About St. Anthony's Church

St. Anthony's Church, Woonsocket, RI, was established as an Italian parish on November 14, 1924 by the late Bishop William A. Hickey, D.D.  At the time, most of the Italian families in the Woonsocket area were members of St. Charles Church in Woonsocket. The basement of that church was utilized for worship until St. Anthony's Church was built.

After the long and difficult task of raising sufficient funds for the new church, the ground breaking ceremony was held in December, 1926. With the cornerstone laid on December 18, 1927, construction on the new church was completed shortly before Easter of 1928. St. Anthony's Church was dedicated on September 30, 1928 by Bishop Hickey.

Over the years, St. Anthony's Church has been led by the following pastors:

1924 - 1927 
1927 - 1933
1933 - 1937
1937 - 1944
1944 - 1954
1954 - 1970
1970 - 1985
1985 - 1991
1991 - 1992
1992 - 1996
1996 - 2000
2000 - Present 
Rev. Emilio Greco
Rev. Beni DiMascolo
Rev. Carmelo Moriello
Rev. Mariano LaGiglia
Rev. Francesco Bruno
Rev. Andrew Farina
Rev. Joseph L. Santurri
Rev. John J. Rainone
Rev. Msgr. Robert C. Evans
Rev. Douglas J. Spina, Ph.D.
Rev. Francis P. Kayatta, J.C.L.
Rev. Msgr. Ronald Simeone, J.C.L. 

 

Commitment to the Parish Over the Years

Over the lifetime of St. Anthony's several capital campaigns have been initiated to improve our parish facilities. The following are the two latest campaigns completed by our parish.

1994 Capital Campaign

This campaign generated $245,000 that was utilized to repair the church and rectory buildings. This work included a new brick and granite frontal staircase for the church, a beautiful prayer garden which adorned the facade of the church, refurbishment of the bell tower, restoration of the stained glass windows and the stations of the cross, exterior and interior painting of the church, the gold leafing of the church dome and crosses, a new boiler for the church, the establishment of the Children's Chapel and renovations to the church hall.

2008 Capital Campaign

This latest campaign generated $250,000 that has been utilized to enhance the access to our church. The highlight of this campaign was the creation of a ground level entrance to the church along with an elevator to allow handicapped access to the church level. The church hall was also renovated and new bathroom facilities were added. 

The St. Anthony's parish community is committed to the continued prosperity of our church and its' facilities.